03:17 UT Ant 12 is back! It will no doubt have terrible delays. Meanwhile, I am redoing my earlier calibration on 3C273 with parallel and crossed feeds, but now adding parallel and crossed feeds for the equatorial dishes. A total of four scans are being taken, in this order:
- one with the 27-m feed tracking parallactic angle (gives parallel-feed data for azel dishes 1-8, 12),
- one with the 27-m feed tracking parallactic angle + 90 degrees (gives crossed-feed data for azel dishes 1-8, 12),
- one with the 27-m feed rotated by to 90-degrees (gives crossed-feed data for equatorial dishes 9-11, 13),
- one with the 27-m feed unrotated (gives parallel-feed data for equatorial dishes 9-11, 13)
04:04 UT The first two scans worked fine, but I could not get $PA-STOP to work (should zero the FRM PA, but instead it kept sending commands to keep the feed perpendicular, overriding my FRM-SET-PA -90 command). I had to kill the schedule and reopen it. Now on the third scan as of 04:03 UT.
04:56 UT Those scans are completed. I then updated the delays (needed for ant 12, but also some very small changes to some others). All of these calibrations are "between" the ones needed for the Sun, so should not affect the calibration of those data.
03:20 UT I set up to do a long calibration on three sources (a repeat of my earlier special.scd, run on Jun 28) using pcal_hi-all.fsq, in order to fully test my feed-rotation correction. It will run from 07:25 UT to about 14:10 UT.
18:30 UT The feed-rotation correction works! The amplitudes are now flat over > 7 hours, and the phases behave just as expected. I wrote a memo describing the results. Also, there was an M-class flare today at 16:13 UT! Should be a good one for study--all antennas running, and even polarization measurement possible!
10:21 UT I used the July 3 data to determine Bx, By and Bz corrections, mainly for Ants 12 and 13, but tweaking a couple of others. I started a new run of special.scd, but this morning I found that I made the same classic error AGAIN, using errors in meters when I really wanted them in ns. Therefore, the corrections were only about a third of those needed (but maybe at least the correct sign). I discovered it and made the correction, and got back on the source as of 10:15 UT. Hopefully by 14:05 UT when the observations end, things will be a little better. I still was not able to correct Bz for Ant 12, though, so there is one more adjustment at least, for the future.
12:33 UT The Ant 12 (and other antenna) phases now look good! I need to let it run longer, but so far it seems the Bz error is small on Ant 12.
03:40 UT I have set up for another long set of calibrations like last night, but this time will do the 90-degree crossed-feed observation near 0 HA for 2253+161, so that I can remeasure the X-Y delays. I want to check repeatability, and also see if Ant 12 has changed due to the largish baseline adjustment. I also will update the baselines if warranted by these new measurements.
23:59 UT Several small flares late this afternoon. More on the way!
11:35 UT I have been trying for the past day or so to get a scheme working in which observing with the LO-frequency receiver on Ant 14 will automatically use delay centers stored in the Ant 15 slot. This is needed since there are delay differences between the LO- and HI-frequency receiver delays. After several false starts, I think I may have it now, and am taking data on 2253+161 with the LO-frequency receiver in place. I will take 10 min of data with the LO-frequency receiver, followed by 10 min with the HI-frequency receiver, and check the delays of both.